Thursday, January 21, 2010

Destruction:

Today the Dow was down 213.

I suffered perhaps my largest one day loss ever.

What did I do?  I bought more stocks.

It did not feel good. And as I write, GOOG is tanking on earnings.  But the stocks I own are long term plays that are far below fair value.  It makes no sense to sell them because the market is puking on political news that doesn't affect the business.

In fact, my largest position, NEWN.ob was actually up .25 today!  So how's that for ignoring a sell off.  I think last year I would have freaked out on a day like today.  I certainly wouldn't have been a buyer.  It may be a big mistake.  Today was a huge technical breakdown.  And there will probably be follow through tomorrow.

 The market is understandably nervous about the new rules.

 The other important thing to remember is this is one day.  I am focused on monthly performance.  (For the month, I have done quite well despite today's give back.)

 I feel I followed my plan... even though today was a horrible day.  Let's see what the future brings.

No comments: