Monday, September 28, 2009

Monday Recap: A Terrible Win

Bottomline:  Yes, I made good money today on my long term holdings.

Virtually all my short term moves were wrong however:

bot FAZ went down
bot QID went down
bot SDS went down
bot ROIAK went down
bot INSM went down
bot CHIO - stayed flat
sold TWGP went way up
sold APWR went up
sold a little CSGH - kept going up

Yes, that's impressively bad.

 I lost even more in the inverse ETFs for my Mom.  However, again, end of day, her portfolio was up over $23,000.  So you have to look at things in context.

Still if you can make good money and literally do nothing right that day, that's saying something.

The reason I did not lose mega-bucks is because the heart of my strategy is deep value investing.  This stupidity with the inverse ETFs is a lesson I keep having to learn over and over again.  It's embarrassing to admit.  I know I lose with those things 90% of the time.  I need to go to Inverse ETF Anonymous.

But all in all, at the end of the day, it was a good day, so I'm not going to beat myself up any longer on losing a few hundred bucks hedging any otherwise awesome portfolio of China value goodness.


I still have the SDS, never got stopped out...  I guess I'll take some more beatings tomorrow.

No comments: